Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a linux tool that acts like ab but for CLI, not HTTP.

I want the one that can accept CLI command, number of runs, number of simultaneuously run instances and gives some stats as a result.

share|improve this question
@Nils: ab is the load testing tool for http. I need something similar for general CLI applications. – zerkms Jul 6 '11 at 22:05
What is a general CLI application? What service interface does it expose if not HTTP? – HTTP500 Sep 12 '11 at 15:46
@jasondbecker: it is an application that has nothing to do with web/http. md5sum for example – zerkms Sep 12 '11 at 22:15

Regards, zerkms There are many performance tools available, but many of them are for one application or one user-case scenario. For example:

  1. Network Performance tools:

  2. TSung: is a open-source multi-protocol distributed load testing tool. It can be used for Benchmarking and stress tests for several services including Apache, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Jabber/XMPP servers, etc.

Now for the Command Line, on Solaris and Linux, there are four tools that are the key rocks of many sysadmins:

  • iostat: reports on the CLI the I/O statistics and the CPU utilization

  • netstat: reports all network statistics

  • vmstat: reports the memory utilization on the system

  • sar: provides a combined view of all these statistics.

I recommend to you should read the man´s pages of these tools to learn to use them. Thanks a lot for reading and I hope that this information will be useful to you.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately your list doesn't contain anything relevant to the question – zerkms Sep 12 '11 at 22:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.