I'm aware there are various different ways to do this but I'm not sure that the "best" way would be for my particular situation:
- Each site should have its own user account (site user)
- Virtual Hosts point to a directory within the site user's home dir
- Apache executes each site as the site user's user:group
- CLI commands can be executed on the site as the site user
- Various contractors are responsible for maintaining 1 or more sites, and each contractor should have his own account user account
- Contactors will also have the account information for each site account that they mainatian. They will login in as the site user in order to maintain each site - either with ssh directly to that site account, or by logging into their contractor account and then switching users.
My first thought was using
mod_fcgi since i think this is how its typically done on some of the shared server environments Ive used. I googled this set up of course but most of the guides i found were random blog posts. What I would like is something with a little more credibility (like VPS company's howto KB or a distro wiki). This way I can point the admin to it as a general guide which im sure he will adapt to how he has this particular server set up.