This morning VMWare web interface didn't work when I fired up my machine. After some investigation I find the following in the event log:
Faulting application name: vmware-hostd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ade2d25 Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.5592, time stamp: 0x4d2be7f2 Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x000046b4 Faulting process id: 0x17f4 Faulting application start time: 0x01cc09cb0c92dbd3 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Server\vmware-hostd.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.5592_none_d09196c24426e2d4\MSVCR80.dll Report Id: 4d3cc4dc-75be-11e0-8009-5c260a0e99b4
When the machine starts up the VMWare Host Agent service is not started even though its startup type is set to Automatic. If I start it the VMWare web interface does not work. If I restart the web interface then the VMWare Host Agent immediately crashes.
EDIT: I already tried downloading and installing both the x86 and x64 versions of the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable. My system is Windows Server 2008 R2. I also tried un- and then re-installing VMWare Server 2, which should have taken care of the "datastores.xml" error that's all over google.
EDIT2: I found the following in the hostd log file:
[2011-05-03 20:41:10.959 'App' 1212 info] Trying vimsvc [2011-05-03 20:41:10.970 'Vimsvc' 1212 info] Initializing vimsvc plugin [2011-05-03 20:41:10.978 'Libs' 1212 info] [ADS] Failed to get host ADS object in ACE initialization (0x80070005) [2011-05-03 20:41:10.978 'Libs' 1212 warning] Failed to initialize active directory [2011-05-03 20:41:10.978 'App' 1212 error] Failed to initialize Active Directory services [2011-05-03 20:41:10.979 'App' 1212 panic] error: Not initialized [2011-05-03 20:41:10.979 'App' 1212 panic] backtrace:
This made me think the problem may be that this is on my laptop, and since I work at a client site I had not connected to my company's network in quite some time. So tonight I connected via VPN and restarted the service.... and now it works. I can't say for certain that was the problem but it seems possible.