AFAIK the reasons for file system corruption are as follows:
- improper shutdown (hard reset);
- hardware failures (bad block on disk, bad disk controller);
- improper startup (mounting damaged file system);
- kernel errors (really like to test this one).
- Is there some other reason for file system corruption, which I missed?
- How to artificially cause file system corruption - I know about
dd, but is there something more than this?
I am curious about Linux, but probably this will apply to Windows as well.