Here is the scenario:
- I have a centOS server with multiple ip addresses associated with it
- The primary domain name is example.com with ip address x.x.x.1
- I tell my client to point his cname to my main address.
- he does it. so clientdomain.com -> example.com
- now i need to install a secure certificate for clientdoamin.com on my server. but since there can be only one certificate per ip address, I will have to install is on x.x.x.2
How can I point clientdomain.com to x.x.x.2. When i try to lookup it shows that clientdoamin.com is pointing to x.x.x.1
The reason i don't to go the easiest route of saying "hey client instead of cname to example.com please add an a record to x.x.x.2" is that then every new client i get i'll have to see what ip address i have free and tell him to point his A record to. plus i'd like the flexibility of moving a client from ip address x.x.x.2 to ip address x.x.x.3 without getting the client involved.
Any pointers would be appreciated!