Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Every once in a while I need to put a rack mount switch on a table for a few days for LAN access. Does any company make a locking enclosure for a single 1U switch? The smaller the better. Just something that will keep people from bumping fiber connections and messing with RJ45 connections.

share|improve this question
Lock the door to the room, or put it somewhere it can't get bumped into? – DanBig May 17 '11 at 20:42
up vote 0 down vote accepted

What about Fly cases ?

You can get a small one like this one : ,

Close the front door to hide the switch, and pass the fibers and cables by the back.

It's standard 19" so it should not be a problem, I use this for my lab.

share|improve this answer
I didn't even think about these, the portability is a big plus. Thanks. – Peter May 19 '11 at 18:29

Not endorsing any of these products or the supply company in particular, but it's a good reference for what is available:

share|improve this answer

Closest thing I can think of is something like this 10U wall-mount rack. (Np affiliation, I just buy some stuff from them occasionally.) For this one, you'd have to bolt on some sort of back cover, but that could just be a piece of wood.

Try googling variations of "wall-mount 19 rack" or "desktop 19 rack"

Also try searching for "enclosures" not racks, that's how I found this one:

One last result that turned up searching for desktop 19" enclosures. Never heard of this company before, but this looks like what you're after:

share|improve this answer
OTOH, isn't this a shopping question? – Ward May 17 '11 at 20:44

Such cabinets are extremely common. Where to get one will depend on just where you are, as it's unlikely to be cost effective to have them transported any great distance. I suggest you pop in to your local electrical wholesaler (or whatever they're called where you are) and pick the one you like from the many available makes and models.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.