This has nothing to do with hardware. What sort of hardware would only affect this one application? Either way I have ruled out hardware because the problem occurs on many computers. A simple Google search will confirm this; the Internet is overflowing with complaints about this problem (and, humorously, threads that Microsoft marked as "answered" even though people are still complaining that the problem remains).
This is a Microsoft software problem with RDSM for Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 that I have never been able to solve. This problem has followed me between Win7 computers and even at 3 different companies with completely separate environments.
The problem only appears when you try to manage multiple remote servers. As soon as I add a few servers to the console it will eventually have the problem. It might work for a few minutes, or a day, or 3 weeks. But eventually RDSM will start crashing as soon as I open it. It becomes completely unusable until I delete all the MMC configuration data from my user profile, and start with a clean slate.