In Communicator, there are a few logging options available in the Options dialog.
- Under Personal:
- Save my instant message conversations in the Outlook Conversation History folder.
- Save my call logs in the Outlook Conversation History folder.
- Under General:
- Turn on logging in Communicator
- Turn on Windows Event logging for Communicator
The first two options are fairly straightforward - they do what they say they do.
The last two are a bit more ambiguous. Here's my questions:
- What "logging" does "Turn on logging in Communicator" enable exactly, and where is it stored?
- I presume "Turn on Windows Event logging" sends some logs to the Event Viewer (eventvwr.exe) but what gets logged there?
- How do these options differ from each other, in data collection and storage terms?
The General tab has a "More Information..." button in the Logging section, but that only takes you to a Privacy Statement - this tells you what Microsoft will and won't do with the information that is collected, but doesn't tell you what information is collected by which specific feature.