I have been thinking about purchasing a HP DL580 G4 for ~$300.00. I would like to use it for testing, virtualization, etc. It's more of a learning toy than anything. I'm also curious if anyone knows what kind of power this thing sucks down.
Here are the specs:
- 4x 2.6GHz Dual Core Xeon 7110 (800MHz Bus, 4MB Cache)
- 8GB ECC RAM (64GB capable), 3x RAM carriers
- SAS RAID with 256MB Cache
- 2x Power Supply
- Dual Gigabit
- 2x 2.5" SAS drive sleds
- SIXTEEN cores with hyperthreading
- VMX Virtualization capable.
Will this thing run ESXi well or will it be slow as a dog compared to Xeon servers with 5160 series processors?