tl;dr Check how Chrome handles certificate checking and revocation.
We had a very similar issue at a facility I previously worked at, but with Firefox. For this to be an issue, you need to confirm the issue is only with https pages. If not, it will make little difference.
With Firefox (I know, I know, I can read, point forthcoming), a bunch of people had issues while Internet Explorer users (if you can believe it) did not. We had used the infamous ipsCA authority because they were free for educational institutions, but eventually pissed off Firefox with their shadiness and OCSP checking of their certs was the culprit. Turns out the browser was delaying because of processing Certificate Revocation Lists because of the nature of our SSL certs. You obviously, as the best of us, did not mention your Chrome version, so it hard to say if it was an issue or is still an issue. However, I would check CRL configuration in Chrome. Doing so in Firefox alleviated out issue. Also, check your certs are in good-standing, that is if they are self-signed. What gave it away to use is we moved away from self-signed because idiot users of our services whined a lot and it was free. We thought we were saving ourselves a headache, but we made it worse.