So my company recently moved to a new building and my boss had an APC rack installed with the switches in it. We are now looking to buy a rack server to put in there.
I'm just a PC repair kind of IT guy and don't have much experience in real data center kind of stuff.
I'm looking for any good beginner links / howtos / videos / best practices / common pitfalls you guys can think of.
Some example questions:
- How do you mount a server to a rack?
- What is a PDU? Do I need one?
- How best to I get a monitor / keyboard / mouse into the rack?
- Should I buy a name brand server? or some cheap knock off?
- Should I buy a server from the local IT guys (the ones who set up the rack / wired the network) or just buy straight from a manufacturer? (dell.com)