First, I hope you made backups of your data.
Now, really for your first step, from the console, I would suggest going through these tasks:
- Update packages, and check for missing dependencies
- Make sure SSH2 is installed
- Make sure that you've granted yourself SSH access
From the console:
1) Updating Packages, and checking for missing dependencies
- apt-get check
- apt-get update
2) Installing / fixing SSH:
- sshd -v (if you have it installed, the first line of output should look something like this:
OpenSSH_5.8p1 Debian-1ubuntu3, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
If you don't have it installed, run:
- apt-get install openssh-server
- /etc/init.d/sshd start
Now, make sure that sshd starts when the system is rebooted by running "update-rc.d"
3) Review settings in /etc/ssh/ssh_config
This should at least get you SSH access to the server, and then you can begin restoring your server.