My department has just been given the right/responsibility to manage our own VPS. The idea being that the bureaucracy will be less for the many small web projects we run.
Since each project will be managed by a different team, I was planning on approaching a shared hosting model. Are there any free pieces of software that would help automate the provision of resources each time a team request a new project?
Most of the projects have identical requirements - basically LAMP - so it would be these resources that I would want provisioning (and de-provisioning, if that is a word) automatically. Ideally, there would also be a way to hook it into our LDAP authentication backend too, though I could probably make this sort of modification if necessary.
Since we won't be charging our "client" however, we won't need the ability to generate invoices, handle payments, etc. etc.
EDIT: Sample workflow
- Login authenticated against LDAP
- Username checked against admin group (not on central LDAP)
- Click 'new project' and enter project name
- User created on VPS with project name as username
- Apache virtual host created and subdomain (using project name) allocated
- FTP & MySQL users created