I've set up a basic LAMP installation on a Linode Ubuntu 10.04 server using the following apt-get command:
sudo apt-get install apache2 apache2.2-common apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils ssl-cert mysql-server mysql-client php5 php5-common libapache2-mod-php5 php5-mysql php5-mcrypt
I haven't really changed any Apache configuration settings apart from the
ServerName property. For the most part this all works fine. However, every couple of page requests, say every 3 or so, it seems that the page doesn't want to load. If I leave the browser sit there it just tries to keep loading the page not really timing out or anything. Clicking the same link again will usually trigger a correct page load but sometimes it won't.
What could be a cause of this and how would I be able to investigate the underlying issue of this?
OK, so I tried MrTuttle's suggestions. Trying to replicate the issue isn't easy but armed with two consoles tailing the Apache error.log and the other tailing the access.log, and a Chrome Inspect tab open I was, after clicking around for a while to, finally able to trigger the issue.
When the issue occurs I see in the Chrome Inspect tab that the call to the server is "pending" and nothing else really happens. Both my error.log and access.log don't show any new entries. I left the browser loading for a few minutes and nothing happened. I decided to go to the shops and when I came back there was finally a message in my browser saying that the page could not be loaded and that the server might be down (which is clearly not the case).
One odd thing that I noticed is that this issue does not occur on Windows (at least I haven't been able to trigger it so far), only on Linux (my day to day desktop) and my friends Mac.
I'm not really sure what else I can do to investigate this issue.