I noticed tonight my server ground to a halt. SSH, plesk and the actual site itself were all totally unavailable.
Services seemed to resume just as I got to the front of the support queueto be honest, and then the support engineer informed me there was nothing up on the system itself.
I have noticed this kind of beahiour before, and it seemed to be centred around the dir that mod_cache uses to store the actual cache hierarchy. I went in and did an "htcacheclean" on a directory that was initially ~52MB when i dialed in and just under 1MB once I'd run the cache clean command.
Anyone got any experience of any of this.
I have a cron setup now that should hopefully alleviate the problem, but wouldn't mind a bit more info as to exactly what the hell was happening....