Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does CNAME only work for subdomains? I wonder because I want to redirect from the domain name I registered, say,, to my page at one of the famous social network web sites, say, Does anybody know if that is possible to accomplish somehow changing some DNS settings?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jul 12 '11 at 4:06

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

Short answer: no.

You can use URL forwarding services to achieve what you want to do ... which are fancy implementations of an iFRAME.

share|improve this answer

No, it's not possible. CNAME is just like an alias for a domain name (like or You cannot alias to another URL (like, because domains are not URLs.

In this example, the closest you can come is to have a CNAME from to

This would mean going to the URL would probably be equivalent to

  • (unless the server at only responds to

Of course, it would also mean that goign to would be the same as going to which is not what you want.

The simplest thing you can do is check your domain registrar. Most of the big ones have options for how your domain works: they often let you chose from them hosting various DNS records, pointing your domain to external name servers, or setting up redirects. It's very likely you can just configure your domain using the control panel at your registrar to redirect.

The second best thing is to find a service that does URL forwarding (there are many), and then configure your domain appropriately (they'll have instructions on how to do it).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.