I am running Ubuntu Lucid with a raid0 setup
- Intel Xeon X3440 - 4x (2x 2.9GHz)
- 16GB RAM
I got a 1.9TB truecrypt7.0 file container with AES located in my /home (where raid is).
When testing network performance in different ways, like wget, it seems to be able to write/read to the disk just fine for the first 10-20 seconds. I notice then the download suddenly halts for 2-3 seconds, and then continues.
- Uploading and downloading from a truecrypt volume halts the ul/dl for 2-3 seconds and then continues
- Uploading and downloading from a tryecrypt volume AND downloading to a regular non encrypted folder, halts all downloads including the regular one
- Uploading and downloading with a non truecrypt volume (like /root) does not halt and everything goes smooth
- The halts seems to happen more often the faster the upload/download
I've monitored with htop if it's excessive cpu usage, but only 1-3 cores usually have any load on them. When the download suddenly halts, the cpu usage does not burst unexpectedly. Looking at iostat I only see burst of writes with 2-3 seconds intervals - assuming that's correct due to cache, but I can't see a direct relations to the halt in download/upload
I am unable to reproduce the same error when downloading/uploading to/from a non truecrypt mount, which leads me to believe that there is something going on when reading/writing to a truecrypt file volume.
I am not sure how to troubleshoot this further or if there are tweaks I can do to make it go more smooth. Appreciate any tips/help you can give me.