We are trying to find the most suitable load balancing solution that will work with our application, but I quickly found I don't know much on the subject. We were going to run Varnish Cache but we use client IP addresses at various levels and SSL - starting to get complicated... please help
Here's situation, we have one machine serving the below and looking spanning this across three. Probably share the one database.
Three types of traffic:
- Images for emails - Basic Apache traffic (minimal)
- Flash application - Large download(s) once per client
- SOAP Webservice - Up to a POST per client per second
- Linux with PSAD
- Apache with Mod_Security
- Tomcat (Apache worker), JAX-WS app and MySQL database
- Maxmind GeoIP at app - needs client's IP address
- mod_security on Apache - also wants IP address
- SSL for both the Flash app and all SOAP calls
This is a preemptive measure for the client so we don't have load problems to solve as such, except if we test a DOS attack :)
Would Pound or Crossroads work? Is a software load balancer the right solution?