I just spent 6 hours trouble shooting an application issue on two systems due to this very reason.
Customer reports application Ultra Tax 2010 software taking 8 minutes to open on Workstation 1 and Workstation 3. This same software application is working correctly on Workstation 2 and the server.
System changes being reported by client leading up to this issue.
- Ultra Tax Software Update loaded on server
- Ultra Tax Software reloaded from Workstation 1
- Microsoft Updates ran on Server and rebooted
- UPS replaced for Network Backbone and Phone System
Actions take to troubleshoot this issue:
- Check LEDs on Sonic Wall and Netgear Switch for pulsing.
- Checked each wire connection to verify no loop back cable.
- Reinstallation of Ultra Tax through Workstation1.
- Symantec Workstation removed from Workstation 3.
- Fine tuning disabled on NIC of Workstation 3.
- Ping Statics ran on Workstation 1 and Workstation 3.
- Mapping to the Software via mapped drive.
- Mapping to server via IP address this presented an application error
- Large File transfer from Workstation 1, 2, 3 to the server.
- Large file transfer from the server to Workstation 1 and 2. Found a notable issue with time taking to copy this file.
- Removed share on server then re-added.
- Disabling SMB on Server.
We decided before spending $250.00 to call Microsoft we should rule out the new UPS.
Disconnected the APC power Strip which had the Sonic Wall, Netgear, phone system, and the cable modems AC adapters plugged in, from the UPS and connected directly in the wall. We then tested the Ultra Tax software on workstation 1 and 2. Ultra Tax software is now responding as it use to. We went through the process of opening and closing the software multiple times each time having the same positive results.
We then decide to verify the UPS was truly the issue by reconnecting the APC power strip. Again the Ultra Tax application began to hang. We adjusted the sensitivity setting on the UPS to low. The issue with Ultra tax was still there. We then disconnected the SonicWall and the Netgear Switch AC adapters from the APC Power Strip and connected them directly in to the UPS.
We then tested the Ultra Tax software on workstation 1 and 2. Ultra Tax software is now responding as it use to. We went through the process of opening and closing the software multiple times with the same positive results.
We believe this issue is resolved.
By Connecting the SonicWall, Netgear Switch, directly in to the APC UPS with the sensitivity level set to low has resolved the Ultra Tax issue of taking 8 minutes to open.