I'm looking to give our company an overview of the business services that IT offers and their various dependencies.
The purpose of this graph would be to show the dependencies of technology on business applications with the goal of assisting configuration management. For example, if the server hosting 3 of our VMs goes down, which business applications are impacted while we work on a fix? Or, if a change is being made to a network subnet or a reboot of a router is required, who do we need to notify?
These technologies would be shown from top down (roughly from "front end" to "back end") along the lines of the following layers:
- Business services (Business e-mail, business calendar, business documents, help desk, software development, etc.)
- External Applications (cloud apps, non-internal apps -- apps we don't manage)
- Internal Applications (internal software packages, intranet apps, etc.)
- Virtual Machines
- Machines (Servers, Desktops, laptops, phones, VM Hosts)
- Network layers / technology (DMZ, IDS, various subnets & VLANs)
- Network equipment (routers, switches, hubs)
I'm open to any thoughts, recommendations, etc. on how various folks have visualized this. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!