I have a ReadyNAS 1100, with 4X1.5TB disks.
Due to some problems, I am thinking to do the following:
- Take the 4 HD's out (4X1.5TB identical disks, keep the order)
- Put new 4 Disks in (4X500GB identical disks, smaller disks - still identical)
- Restore to factory default
- Once NAS is working properly take the 4 disks out
- Put the original 4X1.5TB disks in the correct order.
Do you think I will loose the data? (P.S. please do not refer me to ReadyNAS forums - been there, done that - no help)
I think that the procedure will work as I don't think that the controller stores the hardware data in itself, but rather in the disks.