We're looking to set up an e-mail sub-domain for a project, and we need to set up a catch-all e-mail address, so whether people send project updates to project1234, or project4321, it will redirect to the one existing e-mail account.
I've set up the sub-domain MX in our public DNS.
I've set up the sub-domain in EMC, per this article. We do not have an edge transport server, but the same settings are under Hub Transport, which I thought would be the same: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996314.aspx
I've set up the catch all e-mail address per this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691132.aspx
The sub-domain works when I send directly to the one existing account with an e-mail address in the sub-domain, and it works if I set up specific aliases on the account... but it's not working as a catch all. When I test from my Gmail to a non-existent address on the sub-domain, it is rejected as an unrecognized recipient. At first I considered that it might be our spam filter (McAfee hosted) blocking these messages, but when I added an alias in Exchange and did not set up the user in McAfee, it still came through... so it really appears to be something misconfigured or missing in Exchange.
I set up the Transport rule to be "when a recipient's address matches '@sub.domain.com$' copy the message to 'existingAccount@sub.domain.com'"
I've also tried "when a recipient's address contains specific words 'sub.domain.com'" and any other variation I could think of to get a generic catch all for the sub-domain... nothing has worked so far, except creating an alias (which would defeat the purpose of having a catch all).
Does anyone have experience with setting one of these up, and so could provide direction on what I'm missing?
P.S. the NDR
Diagnostic information for administrators: Generating server: domain.com email@example.com #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ## Original message headers: Received: from p01c12m115.mxlogic.net (184.108.40.206) by server.local.domain.com (192.168.1.18) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id 14.0.722.0; Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:54:09 -0400 Received: from unknown [220.127.116.11] (EHLO mail-wy0-f170.google.com) by p01c12m115.mxlogic.net(mxl_mta-6.10.0-2) over TLS secured channel with ESMTP id f18514e4.0.181220.00-2292.264602.p01c12m115.mxlogic.net (envelope-from <firstname.lastname@example.org>); Tue, 09 Aug 2011 09:54:08 -0600 (MDT) Received: by wyf23 with SMTP id 23so97339wyf.29 for <email@example.com>; Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:54:06 -0700 (PDT) DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=+ku4XfmMdO3N03t8z+YI9ApzoPFBdZazI1GqwxB5JPs=; b=fkzsd9eyTJown62n8alAINYW6arHT/qB6EjoAzlwoDjRvDpgJERLEGVrw3eXwbJDlU aekvxsWTfizZJGxY4KypkJH1T0tnMCjANscAM3avwld8qVbaGlnxE1wipi3i3Bfgcv1R l3GNqUqCd0FJIXC02+A2CDkihdxqPM3UKHfwc= MIME-Version: 1.0 Received: by 10.216.67.8 with SMTP id i8mr1726607wed.61.1312905246774; Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:54:06 -0700 (PDT) Received: by 10.216.210.134 with HTTP; Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:54:06 -0700 (PDT) Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:54:06 -0400 Message-ID: <CAE=Hmibpw4TVZ5MnG81qBjrUdPRc93eNhx8ACD71u4rjKo7evw@mail.gmail.com> Subject: test test test From: Me <firstname.lastname@example.org> To: <email@example.com> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="000e0ce0cf08db956b04aa149235" X-Spam: [F=0.2000000000; B=0.500(0); spf=0.500; STSI=0.500(0); STSM=0.500(0); CM=0.500; MH=0.500(2011080922); S=0.200(2010122901); SC=none] X-MAIL-FROM: <firstname.lastname@example.org> X-SOURCE-IP: [18.104.22.168] X-AnalysisOut: [v=1.0 c=1 a=nDghuxUhq_wA:10 a=BLceEmwcHowA:10 a=nS36O97Bj3] X-AnalysisOut: [wUElCrIrAA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10] Return-Path: email@example.com Received-SPF: Neutral (server.local.domain.com: 22.214.171.124 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of firstname.lastname@example.org) Final-Recipient: rfc822;email@example.com Action: failed Status: 5.1.1 Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found