I've been working on a server migration recently, and cleaning up permissions issues on some cloned Windows 2008 servers. I routinely use procmon to narrow down permissions issues and fix them, then resume testing.
Something that boggles my mind is when I assign the proper permissions, and then run the test again, and still receive the same "ACCESS DENIED" error in procmon for the same exact user that I just assigned Full Control on for that directory or registry key that fails.
How is this technically possible? Other than not having the proper ACL set, why would ACCESS DENIED be returned?
In this specific headache, I have an Active Directory account that we use to run our services that need to be able to span multiple servers, and it consistently receives ACCESS DENIED errors on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID. I have tripled checked that this user has Full Control access on this key, yet it still happens.
For what it's worth, here are the details from procmon:
Date & Time: 8/9/2011 5:13:27 PM Event Class: Registry Operation: RegOpenKey Result: ACCESS DENIED Path: HKCR\Wow6432Node\CLSID TID: 5084 Duration: 0.0000073 Desired Access: Read Description: Event Alarm Service Company: Dorian Software Creations, Inc. Name: EvtAlarm.exe Version: 22.214.171.124 Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Event Alarm\EvtAlarm.exe Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Event Alarm\EvtAlarm.exe" PID: 5232 Parent PID: 616 Session ID: 0 User: OUR\SpecialUser Auth ID: 00000000:09af42e2 Architecture: 32-bit Virtualized: False Integrity: High Started: 8/9/2011 5:13:27 PM Ended: 8/9/2011 5:13:39 PM
Edit: Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have solved our underlying problem, although my question still stands as I don't feel what I did is truly an explanation, therefore I am not going to post this as an official answer. Following advice from the company that makes the software in question, I added the service account in question to the local Administrators group, and now it is able to start successfully, and the ACCESS DENIED errors are gone. It still makes no sense to me, as the permissions (including effective permissions) showed that this service account should have had the right to access the registry key that was being denied...