I am running two virtual 2008 Windows Servers that have been having some reoccurring problems for the past few months. Msiexec.exe seems to run and always freezes at 25% cpu usage and around 12 - 15k memory usage when uninstalling (and perhaps installing) certain applications.
I first noticed this when trying to remove C++ Visual Basic then trying to run a repair utility for it as well... froze at 25%. Tonight I was trying to uninstall Office 2003 from this server and it locked up from the Add / Remove programs method. I then downloaded Microsoft's cleanup utility and on the second step it calls msiexec.exe and it hung at 25% as well!
Here is what I've tried and know - - This is happening on both servers. - I've ran sfc /scannow nothing found. - Ran checkdisk on both servers, nothing found. - Scanned for viruses. - Removed Anti Virus and tried. - Stopped services, msconfig items, and tried booting to a basic config. - msi.dll is at 4.5 (latest version without R2 or W7) - Tried setting the priority for msiexec.exe from task manager.