Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My organization ships servers (2U) to multiple sites (back and forth) and the original server boxing is becoming worn. Can someone please recommend a more permanent case?


share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Chris S Jan 10 '13 at 16:43

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Shopping Questions are Off-Topic on any of the Stack Exchange sites. See Q&A is hard, lets go Shopping and the FAQ for more details. – Chris S Jan 10 '13 at 16:43

Yes, you can purchase an ATA-rated 4-post "flight case" for the 2U server. A nice example would be this 6U shock-mount case, especially if you need to ship anything along with the server (switches, power supply, etc.). Standard non-rackmount ATA cases would work well, too.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Forgot yer link :-) – mfinni Aug 16 '11 at 15:31
Thank you. This might be a little overkill - I saw vendor with a padded case that fit 2950 (Dell) very well...wish I could find it. – Jsquared Aug 16 '11 at 15:49
I'd go with the standard non-rackmount case if you're shipping the server back and forth within the same company. The shock-mount case is nice for sending a demo system to clients or to keep things organized. – ewwhite Aug 16 '11 at 15:53
Thanks again. Do you recommend a specific model from a vendor or are these all the same? – Jsquared Aug 16 '11 at 16:05
I was throwing out the general idea. I tend to like Anvil cases, but you'd need to find a dealer. – ewwhite Aug 16 '11 at 16:08

Try looking at cases for musical hardware; it's delicate, rack-mounted equipment that get moved around a lot. The hardware they tend to put in isn't as deep as the standard four-post rack-server, so YMMV.

A musician-friend of mine wasn't satisfied with what he could get, so he begun to build his own cases instead.

So: try the local music-shops; they might have something relevant, or, they can likely point you to someone who can custom-build it for you, if that's your thing. (Ex. sturdy replicas of your current boxes/padding?)

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.