I am setting up a wireless LAN between two buildings -- one with Internet and one without. The distance between the buildings is about 900 feet. This goes across a 4 lane street and up/down a hill. It is line-of-sight with a few trees. I don't think they will be in the way. There are no wireless devices. In the building without Internet, there are 2 Windows XP desktops. In the building with Internet, there are are a few more PCs and the server.
I am trying to figure out a few things:
1) How much more beneficial is 5.0 GHz of 2.4 in this scenario?
2) Is WPA2 sufficient encryption or do I need a VPN? The two computers in the building without Internet will be doing 2 things: 1) using RDP to connect to the server. 2) web browsing.
3) The company is not going to want to spend a lot of money on high end gear such as Cisco. Which products should I be looking at instead? I was thinking one wireless router in one building and a range extender bridging device at the other end. At this distance, what are the concerns?
4) Which antennas would you use?
5) Any other comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.