I've found some similar answers to this question but was hoping someone could clarify in case I'm misunderstanding. This is hosted on IIS 7 in ASP.NET
On my site, I have root and www domains going to my homepage:
- example.com goes to my homepage
- www.example.com goes to my homepage
I also have a URL redirect set up for my users:
- user1.example.com rewrites to example.com/Page.aspx?u=user1
- user2.example.com rewrites to example.com/Page.aspx?u=user2
These are all working perfectly, but I'd like to allow my users to register their own domains names to point to their own sites. They would be in control of these names and I would provide a tutorial on how to set them up. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to get CNAME to work for the www subdomain, but I'd like to get the root URL to work also. Is this possible?
I would like:
- userdomain1.com to point to user1.example.com
- www.userdomain1.com to point to user1.example.com
- userdomain2.com to point to user2.example.com
I could use domain masking but would rather not, as I'd like the domains to perform like actual domain names.
Can this be done, in any way, via DNS and/or coding? Thanks! :)