mysql permissions issue - associated with my.cnf
I want to change the max_allowed_packet value, but when setting permissions for my.cnf to 777, I get (as expected):
Warning: World-writable config file '/etc/my.cnf' is ignored
If I set it to anything less than that (600, 644, 700, 775, all tried...), the mysqld service fails to start.
The error log when the service fails to restart is:
110814 14:30:28 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql 958 Warning: World-writable config file '/etc/my.cnf' is ignored 959 110814 14:30:28 [Note] Plugin 'ndbcluster' is disabled. 960 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist 961 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it. 962 110814 14:30:28 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 8.0M 963 110814 14:30:28 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
964 110814 14:30:28 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 47678
965 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist 966 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] Column count of mysql.db is wrong. Expected 22, found 20. Created with MySQL 50086, now running 50158. Please use mysql_upgrade to fix this error. 967 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] mysql.user has no
Event_privcolumn at position 29 968 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.event 969 110814 14:30:28 [ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler. 970 110814 14:30:28 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections. 971 Version: '5.1.58' socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' port: 3306 Source distribution 972 110814 14:33:46 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown 973
974 110814 14:33:46 InnoDB: Starting shutdown... 975 110814 14:33:48 InnoDB: Shutdown completed; log sequence number 0 47678
976 110814 14:33:48 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete
977 978 110814 14:33:48 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended
Being a newbie to linux, I do not understand much of this error log, but it may make sense to some of you.
I believe this has to do with the permissions set to some files, as I found many files being set to 777. I don't know much, but I know that's bad. :) Thing is though, I don't know where to start looking and fixing.
The system all this is done on is CentOS 5.5.
EDIT: This has finally gotten solved. It was achieved by changing the bind-address inside my.cnf from the actual IP to 127.0.0.1 . Thank you all for your help. Also, there is duplicate of this question, because I didn't know it could be moved from one forum to the other. Feel free to delete this one, or the other one (has the exact same title).