Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

When installing 2008 CALs on a 2008 licensing server for a 2003 Terminal Server should I install them as 08s or 03s? Also is there anything else I need to do besides changing the group policy setting to point to the new licensing server? Does the licensing server have to be a domain controller?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Scott Pack, Iain Feb 12 '12 at 16:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers 2

When I did this for a client a couple years back, I called MS to downgrade my licenses to 2003 from 2008. I just pointed the 2003 TS to the 2008 box that was my licensing server. I can't say that it does/doesn't have to be a domain controller, but that particular client's licensing box is a DC.

At the time, I got conflicting answers from inside MS if I could use 2008 TS CALs for 2003 server, downgrading them worked so that was what I went with.

share|improve this answer
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The confusion that led to this question is that User CALs aren't tracked in 03. So I installed the 08 CAls as 08s, pointed to the new licensing server and it seems to be working fine. The licensing server is a domain controller, but I don't believe it has to be.

share|improve this answer
You are correct, I does not have to be. –  Tatas Jan 3 '12 at 20:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.