Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Any ideas on how to do this or if it is possible at all would be appreciated.

share|improve this question

If you can access the machine via SMB/RPC, then you should be able to install the administrative tools on your client machine. Then fire up the Remote Desktop (Terminal Services) manager. Point the console at the remote machine, and select the session to disconnect.

RDS Remote computer

share|improve this answer
The only other way than using the mmc tools (via RPC) would be to setup some sort of program to listen for connections and run commands locally on the TS server. From there, you can run wmi scripts or even use the built-in command-line tools. for more info on the command line stuff. – TheCompWiz Aug 31 '11 at 18:50
In a non-domain environment, this usually produces 'access denied'. – Chris Thorpe Sep 4 '11 at 13:00
It work fine in non-domain envirinments. Just pre-authenticate to the server as an admin before starting the mmc. – Zoredache Sep 4 '11 at 20:56

I typically will RDP to the server using the console session, then logout people who are connected there. Take a look at mstsc's /console switch.

SOME RDP clients however, will try the console session automatically, hopefully that's not the case for you. Past that, you can look at the other answers posted to run a remote command to force a logoff.

share|improve this answer

Not a direct answert to your question. But when I have session that is not responding, I usally login as administrator using mstsc /admin and then use Terminal Services Manager to kill my inactive session in Windows Server.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.