Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a existing DNS names pointing to 192.168.x.x. I need to set-up virtual host in our intranet and I can't change "hosts" file on the client.

Something like:


I know that I can make one with dyndns, but I'm looking for existing one with no set-up.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Possibly, but anything you might find would be erroneous records because these IPs are not routed publicly on the Internet (see RFC 1918). Even if you had one that worked, you would be piggy-backing on someone else's record just like using images hosted on another website. That person could just change the record (or image) at any time, and it would affect you.

Your best bet for this, if you can't change the hosts file, is to run your own DNS server in your intranet. Run something on your router if it can do this, or even set up a small Linux box running BIND.

share|improve this answer
Further, some DNS resolvers will return NXDOMAIN when the record resolves to a reserved IP (Google notably). –  Chris S Sep 6 '11 at 18:21
Too bad. Thanks for replies! –  romaninsh Sep 7 '11 at 11:41

You will need to set up your own. It might be as simple as configuring the existing DNS server functionality on your SOHO router if you have a small network, or indeed using a DynDNS service.

share|improve this answer

The DNS for the RFC 1918 address blocks (, etc) are served on the internet by the AS112 project.

These are a large set of anycasted DNS servers explicitly designed to provide negative responses to all reverse (PTR) lookups in those address blocks.

They exist primarily to ensure that the root DNS servers do not get overloaded with these queries.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.