Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a existing DNS names pointing to 192.168.x.x. I need to set-up virtual host in our intranet and I can't change "hosts" file on the client.

Something like:


I know that I can make one with dyndns, but I'm looking for existing one with no set-up.

share|improve this question

put on hold as off-topic by Ward, faker, kasperd, Andrew Schulman, masegaloeh 52 mins ago

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Questions should demonstrate reasonable business information technology management practices. Questions that relate to unsupported hardware or software platforms or unmaintained environments may not be suitable for Server Fault - see the help center." – Ward, Andrew Schulman, masegaloeh
  • "Requests for product, service, or learning material recommendations are off-topic because they attract low quality, opinionated and spam answers, and the answers become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe the business problem you are working on, the research you have done, and the steps taken so far to solve it." – faker, kasperd
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

3 Answers 3

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Possibly, but anything you might find would be erroneous records because these IPs are not routed publicly on the Internet (see RFC 1918). Even if you had one that worked, you would be piggy-backing on someone else's record just like using images hosted on another website. That person could just change the record (or image) at any time, and it would affect you.

Your best bet for this, if you can't change the hosts file, is to run your own DNS server in your intranet. Run something on your router if it can do this, or even set up a small Linux box running BIND.

share|improve this answer
Further, some DNS resolvers will return NXDOMAIN when the record resolves to a reserved IP (Google notably). –  Chris S Sep 6 '11 at 18:21
Too bad. Thanks for replies! –  romaninsh Sep 7 '11 at 11:41

You will need to set up your own. It might be as simple as configuring the existing DNS server functionality on your SOHO router if you have a small network, or indeed using a DynDNS service.

share|improve this answer

The DNS for the RFC 1918 address blocks (, etc) are served on the internet by the AS112 project.

These are a large set of anycasted DNS servers explicitly designed to provide negative responses to all reverse (PTR) lookups in those address blocks.

They exist primarily to ensure that the root DNS servers do not get overloaded with these queries.

share|improve this answer
The link is dead. But from your description it sounds like the exact opposite of what was asked for. What was asked for was positive forward records. What you talk about is negative reverse records. As far as overloading the root with queries for private address blocks goes, I am wondering why they don't just point glue records for those ranges to private address blocks as well. –  kasperd 4 hours ago

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.