Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for professional system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Just wanted to know if anyone has bumped into an issue described below. If not, any idea what the problem might be?

Basically, we send out a blast of emails and for one particular user (using Outlook 2007 on a pc), the content of the message is struck out. Also, in place of an image, there is a line instead stating "Error: Filename not specified".

After examining the code, we used <sup>, but the user's source code shows that there is an <s> instead, which would explain the struck out content.

Any ideas on how this may have happened? I'm testing the email content with other Outlook 2007 users and am waiting for the results - so I can't say for sure if this is an Outlook 2007 issue or not. I have Outlook 2010 and I didn't see this.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

share|improve this question
    
Wow. The given information make debugging really easy. Sarcasm end. –  mailq Sep 6 '11 at 15:58
    
@mailq - it's tricky as I can't provide too much of the details (as we deal with a lot of proprietary and confidential information). I'm basically just looking to see if anyone has had weird issues with Outlook and not necessarily a resolution. Feel free to suggest what specific information you need to determine where the problem might be. Sarcasm was expected and noted. –  Ray Sep 6 '11 at 18:29
    
To give a broad answer to a vague question. This is an HTML problem. Your mail does not follow the HTML specification (better: the Microsoft HTML spec). And so the used IE (for rendering the mail) gets confused and does the wrong thing. This is a normal and "standard" behavior of IE and Outlook. –  mailq Sep 7 '11 at 7:29
add comment

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.