I've got some neworking issues with my sbs 2008 server. Basically if i try and access the server's shares via a unc path it takes a long time to resolve, but a mapped drive is quick (until i try to open a file then very often it can be slow).
This behaviour even happens on the machine itself if i try and access it's own shares via it's unc path e.g
Copying to it or from it once open is as fast as ever, and the behaviour is periodic - it sits for a while thinking then everything bursts into life and is quick, then after a while it is slow again.
Things to note:
1) I've no virus guard on it (uninstalled it when i started to have trouble). 2) It is fully patched up. 3) I've checked the switch by continuous pings and don't lose any. 4) I've tried disabling shadow copies with no effect. 5) No backups are running.
1) macs don't seem to have a problem with shares
2) exchange has issues - entourage says it has problems copying an email to sent folder on a mac
3)The server has a Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II NIC
4) TCP chimeny is now off, as is checksum offload is off, large send off load is off. TOE is enabled on the card but can't be disabled unless i turn it on in windows first i think.
5) using the ip address doesn't help.