I am running a small (really small) business and would like to virtualize a server. Historically I have run VirtualBox for client work, but I feel like there must be a "server" alternative that runs as a server and is optimized for that environment.
I have been poking around and see things like Xen and vSphere. I don't have a lot of time unfortunately to analyze options deeply, so I was hoping that someone could give me a quick rundown of my alternatives with these things in mind:
- I am a programmer and know my way around OSes.
- I am planning on running Windows Server 2008 as my host OS, but could easily be compelled to host it on Linux if appropriate.
- I will likely just be running a couple of virtual servers.
- I am looking for a free solution. I understand I won't get support.
- I don't need bells and whistles - I prefer ease of use here.
EDIT: I am planning on running Ubuntu Server instances.