I recently set up cloudflare on a new site I'm about to launch. I ran some benchmarks with it on and with it off and the output is extremely troubling. Does this make sense to anyone?
Before when I ran the Apache benchmark utility with this:
ab -kc 10 -t 10 http://<site_url>
I got an output of:
Requests per second: 94.79 [#/sec] (mean)
Now I get an output of
Requests per second: 18.32 [#/sec] (mean)
Just to make sure no new settings are conflicting with benchmark I ran it again with the hostname thats under cloudflare and the one thats not. Still got the same thing.
Is this releated to the way your geo located dns servers work and not a bottle neck in cloudflare?
I was thinking it would cache the js, css, and image files and leave the php scripts alone. But there seems to be something else going on that cause it to choke when i run a benchmark against the site.
Also a little disturbing is the output of the request time.
Here is with out cloadflare:
Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms) 50% 104 66% 109 75% 112 80% 114 90% 121 95% 129 98% 142 99% 150 100% 158 (longest request)
This is with:
Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms) 50% 103 66% 114 75% 122 80% 129 90% 3076 95% 3093 98% 3112 99% 3128 100% 9146 (longest request)
The only thing I can think of is the security stuff is blocking the multiple requests. If so, then as long as 'real' end users wouldn't notice I'm ok. Just trying to better understand how this will effect the site once its done and goes live.