Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have recently added a Windows 2008 R2 AD controller and DNS to my home network. However, I have a problem resolving some of the sites.

If I don't use my home DNS, everything's fine.

Can anyone help please?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by HostBits, Michael Hampton, Ward, mdpc, Scott Pack Dec 10 '12 at 18:55

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Thanks guys, I googled up on how to setup "forward requests to another DNS". That fixed it. I am forwarding them to google public DNS. Is that a good dns? Edit, I am in sydney area. – Sleeper Smith Sep 16 '11 at 12:58
Google DNS servers works very well. I never had any problem with those. – peca Sep 18 '11 at 9:42
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Your home DNS should be set to forward requests to another DNS (usually your ISP or your router). We could do a better job of assisting if you could give us more detail on what works and what doesnt as well as how you have it configured.

share|improve this answer

Please provide more information about DNS configuration. Did You check does server listen on right network adapter?? Check forwarders and ROOT hints... Use nslookup utility from servers command line to check does server resolves external namespace... Like I said, You must provide more information.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.