Slight problem testing fail-over procedure with my two domain controllers.
I have two domain controllers, DC1 and DC2.
- DC1 has all FSMO roles, is Active Directory integrated DNS
- DC2 is Active Directory integrated DNS and is the DHCP server. The DHCP scope assigns DNS1 to dc1 and DNS2 to DC2 for clients.
- Both DC1 and DC2 are global catalog (GC)
The problem happens when I turn off dc1 to simulate the PDC FSMO role not being available. When I log in with a workstation it takes a long at the applying computer settings screen. It eventually logs in like about 3 minutes or less. Is that a common time frame?
Is this expected behavior? I have never been in a situation where I actually had to experience this problem but I am doing it as an exercise to test our network's reliability in case dc1 goes down for a period of a few hours. My understanding has always been that if you have proper DNS entries in your DHCP scope the workstation will just go to the second DNS entry to login if the first one fails.
I also tried setting the workstation DNS to have the DNS1 entry to DC2 (which is still turned on and running and DNS2 to be the DC1, which I turned off to simulate the failure) and I still get the same results, slow applying computer settings.
I turned dc1 back on and changed back the DNS settings to the way they were and the XP client logged back in quick as normal. So there is some disconnect when I turn off that first domain controller, DC1, that holds the FSMO roles, that causes this slow login issue.