I am a power user of desktop virtualization with VirtualBox, but I don't have much experience with server virtualization, and so I need some advice about with path to choose.
We are buying a new server and we want to consolidate three light used servers:
- A Linux NAT router and traffic shaping server.
- A Linux monitoring server with Nagios and some documentation Wikis.
- A Linux server with a light used database and web application. This installation should be separated because is managed by third party staff.
The load of those three servers are very modest, and two of them currently run on top of ancient machines with low memory.
What is the recommended virtualization setup? I can thing of some:
- Installing Linux on host and setup the router, and installing two VMs with KVM to run the monitoring and application server.
- Installing VMWare ESXI and three VMs.
The new machine would be a Dell PowerEdge.