My company bought a Dell PowerEdge t710 server with:
48 GB ram 4x4 GB ethernet ports. RAID 5 for PERC H700 4 x 1TB, SATA, 3.5-in, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive (Hot Plug)
My job is to configure Hyper-V system infrastructure on this server. The requirements are:
- Domain controller
- File server
- Microsoft Exchange server
- Intranet server - SharePoint
- Development server (with SVN and SQL server 2008)
I will install Hyper-v Server 2008 R2 on bare metal.
My question is:
- What kind of raid configuration should I have, in order to ensure the file server (virtual Windows Server2008) is at max performance?
- Also how would you suggest I do in order to make the partitions have 1TB for the file server?
- My other question is where do I store the VHD files for better performance and backup?
- My last question is how would you guys do it?