I'm in the unfortunate position where I need to determine what happened to a remote server of ours. I only have SSH access to it and it's a netbook running ubuntu 10.04 32 bit. It dropped offline for 12 hours until someone turned it back on. I need to figure out why it dropped/lost power.
- AC Power got disconnected/was lost and the netbook ran out of battery power
- Someone put the netbook into sleep mode
- Someone turned the netbook off
- The netbook locked up/spontaneously shut down (unlikely?)
My question is: Are there logs that indicate power-management activity so I can determine if the netbook went into sleep mode/switched to batter power/whatever?
I've attempted to dig through /var/log/* but the results were less than illuminating without being able to target my approach further.
- This happened 3 or so days ago so there's a ton of other stuff in the logs by this point
- I have no GUI access, SSH only