This is a college assignment, for those who don't want to answer those.
I have an environment of 4 virtual machines. 2 Win7 Pro clients, 2 Win2008 r2 servers. All 64-bit.
I have the DNS server role installed on both servers. Servers are 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4 respectively.
We're "pretending" the first server is geographically in Brussels and the second in Amsterdam. I've changed the computername of the first server to S1.familyname.eu and the second to amsterdam.familyname.eu, to allow dynamic dns updates.
I've created a primary zone on the first server.
To that I added an MX record with no name, so "same as host". I set 1 A record, "mail", pointing at the MX record. And 2 alias records, "pop" and "smtp", pointing at that A-record.
The course requires us to use hMailServer as mail server software. On that, I set the domain to "familyname.eu". I made several accounts with simple passwords, but it's not working.
I've tried looking this up, but almost everything I've found is about active directory or linux. The instructor says it should be easy to look this up, but I'm constantly hitting the same wall. I feel throwing my monitor against a wall.
I've installed thunderbird on one of the clients(which has the correct dns server set), and any account I try to add is refused.
I have no idea if I forgot any records, misconfigured them, or whatever.
Here's a link to what the familyname.eu.dns file looks like: