I have a very bad experience in setting up a game server. My fail experience was that I put all the servers into one (mail, database, game and web server). In the end, mail server did not handle mails properly (cant send X number of emails), database and web getting slower and slower, not enough hardisk spaces etc.
My game requirements:
- Flash engine
- Mysql database for store users data
- Web page
- Sending emails (like newsletters every month or weekly)
After some readings, assume cost is not a problem (well, dont let my client knows about it). My current plan is:
- 1 server for mail(btw, i still have trauma about the mail server, cant sent emails to all users previously)
- 1 server for the app (web, flash games)
- 1 server for database
- ?? Do I need a backup server here??
Are those enough?
My next question is, how to link up those servers, i.e the mail + database server link to app(web) server.
And, how to do load-balancing?
I have been readings, searching the web, but I still could not really understand. Sooo, please advise.