I am trying to plan out a network with the following requirements and am having problems trying to complete a subnet plan for my network.
The network consists of 3 routers that connect 3 different buildings together. I need to subnet the entire network into 4 smaller networks using the 10.10.1.0 - 10.10.1.255 address range.
- Router R1 hosts the Facilities network where 60 hosts are required.
- Router R2 hosts the Business Ops network, which needs 100 hosts.
- Router R3 hosts two switches:
- 1.) Personnel, and they have 25 hosts.
- 2.) IT, which has 25 hosts.
- Each router-to-router connection requires 2 hosts via serial.
My initial thought was to use the following; however, this leaves me with an issue and I believe that it has to do with the /25 segment using/wasting too many addresses.
- /26 for 62 hosts for Facilities
- /25 for 126 hosts for Business Ops
- /26 for 62 hosts for Personnel and IT
- /29 for 8 hosts for each router-to-router connection
I am not sure why I cannot make them all fit within the required IP allocation and believe that I am missing something simple.