Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I want to connect two NIC, then I ""must"" use cross-cabling. But: Can I create a Gbit network with a cross-cable?

p.s.: The question is for cross-cable!!

share|improve this question
What is "cross-cable?" (since your comments on Mark's answer imply that you think it's not the same as a crossover cable) – Ward Oct 29 '11 at 18:53
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If you are connecting two GbE NICs, you do not need a crossover cable. GbE NICs auto-detect what's on the other end and transmit accordingly.

That said, the answer to your question is "yes". You can have a point to point network that's 1Gb with a crossover cable as long as that cable meets all of the other requirements.

share|improve this answer
I updated the Qeustion!! – LanceBaynes Oct 29 '11 at 17:46
@LanceBaynes I think that you should read my answer and the links that I provided. – MDMarra Oct 29 '11 at 17:48
You mean that crossover cable is not needed in 2011? Thats okay. But I asked about cross-cabling. [fixme] – LanceBaynes Oct 29 '11 at 17:55
@LanceBaynes What does 2011 have to do with anything? Mark stated If you have two GibE NICs it will transfer at 1GB with standard cat6 or crossover cat6. Is cross-cabling not the same thing as crossover? – iainlbc Oct 29 '11 at 18:11
cross-cabling = crossover – LanceBaynes Oct 29 '11 at 19:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.