Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently installed SQL Server on a Windows 2008 machine. Down the line the machine was renamed from and when I recently deployed and executed a SSIS package I got the following error message:

The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (IP-0AC455TA\Administrator) of job Package has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'IP-0AC455TA\Administrator', error code 0x534. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15404)).

I assumed this was because of the "old" Administrator name. So logged into SQL Server using the "sa" account and navigated to Security\Logins and removed the IP-0AC455TA\Administrator user. I then re-added the NewName\Administrator account and set it as sysadmin.

This did the trick BUT is it the proper way to do it? I want to make sure that by doing it this way I did not break anything that I don't know of yet. Also, I only created one database on the server and that database is not using any built in administrator accounts.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

That's certainly how I would've done it - though I always avoid using local users for anything. In my mind, local logins are to get you out of trouble.

Personally, I would have installed everything with a domain admin account and then just added the "Domain Admins" security group.

Or, even better, create a service account.

share|improve this answer
Thanks Dan. I don't have a domain setup. But as long as I didn't screw anything up by removing the old admin account and adding a new one I should be fine. – Thomas Oct 31 '11 at 15:12
Yeah, you'll be fine. – Dan Oct 31 '11 at 15:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.