I still have a Windows 2000 AD domain with ExchangeServer 2003 in place. Now I want to migrate this to a Windows 2008 R2 domain with ExchangeServer 2010. I read a lot on the net meanwhile and my plan is as follows:
1) add a Windows Server 2003 R2 to the 2000 domain and make it a second DC
2) transfer all roles of the old 2000 DC to the new 2003 DC
3) remove the 2000 DC and lift the AD level to 2003
4) add a Windows Server 2008 to the 2003 domain and make it a second DC
5) transfer all roles of the 2003 DC to the new 2008 DC
5) add another Windows Server 2008 with ExchangeServer 2010 to the 2003 domain
6) move mailboxes from the Exchange 2003 over to the 2010
7) remove the ExchangeServer 2003
8) remove the 2003 DC and lift the AD level to 2008
Steps 1 and 2 are completed.
My problem now is that I already transfered all roles over to the 2003 DC but the ExchangeServer simply does not find and accept it as domaincontroller. Thus MSExchangeSA refuses to start. I tried to manually set the new DC for all 3 Roles in Exchange System Manager instead of having done this automatically. But at this point, the new DC does not show up in the ExchangeServer's list of domaincontrollers. I had no WINS in place so I read somewhere to have the new DC added the WINS service and configure it on all other servers as to use this. But did not help so far.
My whole setup runs in a XenServer 5.6 environment, so I can quite easily clone boxes and try out things. But I am still stuck here.
Any idea how to convince the Exchange Server 2003 to accept and only use the new DC so I can get rid of the old one?
Thanks in advance!