I was asked to segregate the testing environment in our network to improve our security.
Our structure includes:
- 1 switch Dell Power Connect 3448
- 1 switch Dell Power Connect 2748
- A few 5 ports Star Tech switches (work around to expand our cabling structure)
- 1 ISA Server 2006 firewall
To accomplish this task I am planning to do the following:
- Create a VLAN for the testing environment and include the necessary ports on that VLAN
- Let all the other ports in the default VLAN 1 (keep the packets Untagged), except the port where ISA Server is plugged
- Configure the port where ISA Server is plugged as Trunk
- Configure a virtual interface on ISA Server network card to allow it to communicate with the VLAN
- Configure firewall rules on ISA Server to allow only the desired traffic between the LANs, Internet, and VPN Clients.
Is what I've planned the best way to do what I was asked to?