Last week we moved our servers to another room for security reasons, they have the same port configuration and it has seemed like nothing has changed. The servers seem to be up and working fine, not reporting any errors and are all accessible and doing what they're supposed to be doing (for the most part).
Here is where the issue arises. About 20% of the computers (Windows 7) in our offices are not getting the correct network settings (IP, gateway, DNS, etc). I would do an
IPconfig renew and still, nothing would change.
All it would say is "local connection, no internet access". So far the only thing I can find that fixes it, is an occasional reboot of the users computer, or unplugging the Ethernet cord from the back of the machine and then re-plugging it in.
That fix is also only temporary, the problem would occur again at some point during the week. All the servers have static IP addresses and are on Server standard 2008 SP2.
Just for clarification again, the issue is happening on the users' machines, and not all of them. If I set a static IP address to the machines, the computers work fine and I don't need do any unplugging or rebooting. We do not want to set static IPs on all the machines, so that is not a "fix" for us.
I can't determine if this is a DHCP or DNS issue.