Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

"For this, you need to obtain an IPv6 address from your ISP. Technically this could be a /128 prefix (exactly one IPv6 address), but according to regulation it needs to be at least a /64 prefix."

from the OpenWRT Wiki

To what regulations are they referring? (So that if I need to defend myself when the time comes, I'll be able to point to something)

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

It likely refers to the RFC 6177.

  A key principle for address management is that end sites always be
  able to obtain a reasonable amount of address space for their
  actual and planned usage, and over time ranges specified in years
  rather than just months.  In practice, that means at least one
  /64, and in most cases significantly more.  One particular
  situation that must be avoided is having an end site feel
  compelled to use IPv6-to-IPv6 Network Address Translation or other
  burdensome address conservation techniques because it could not
  get sufficient address space.
share|improve this answer
I edit the OpenWRT wiki from time to time, and I updated it to point to this RFC. – Stefan Lasiewski Nov 11 '11 at 20:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.